Speed dating eastbourne east sussex
Royal Parade garage is now sadly replaced by a block of flats. Amazingly, the first of the batch survived into the 21st century in service!Here is the chassis of 1650 (MUF 650) working in Malta in 2006, attached to an Aquilina body and registered DBY306, despite claiming to be a Leyland Leopard.This is No.1806 (LCD 206), previously numbered 806, heading along Pevensey Road, Eastbourne, approaching the Southdown Coach Station in Cavendish Place after returning from a sunny day trip to Brighton in the summer of 1962.
Repainted into this livery and renumbered from 800 to 1800 in 1962, it was to be sold for work on construction sites four years later - an ignominious retirement. The first ten of this batch had Duple Ambassador bodywork, with distinctive Southdown brightwork modifications.
) when wearing the cream and leaf green livery in which they were delivered.
That livery was short-lived, but showed off the design to its greatest advantage, as demonstrated by No.1726 (one of four in preservation), seen here at the Maidstone & District and East Kent Bus Club's 60th anniversary event at the Kent County Showground, Detling in April 2012. Southdown had long held a reputation for quality coach services and, with the halfcab design considered somewhat old-fashioned by the early 1950s, and the remainder of their huge fleet of front-engined Leyland Tigers getting long in the tooth, it was natural that they would look closely at the new underfloor-engined coaches then coming on to the market.
Within a year it had followed general Southdown policy to paint the whole coach fleet all-over leaf green, which detracted from the character of the machines. Here we see Royal Tiger 1811 (LUF 811) at Bognor Regis depot after having its Harrington body repainted into the all-over leaf green livery applied in 1961. Body: 800-809; Duple Ambassador C26C tourers with sliding roof and 'two-and-one' seating.
It became No.1683 at the same time, and was downgraded from touring to general coach duties, increasing the capacity to 41 seats. 810-829; Harrington Wayfarer I, C26C tourers with sliding roof, intended for long-distance coach cruises. The Harrington-bodied examples were repainted all-over leaf green in 1961/2, converted to C41C, and renumbered again as 1670-1689.